At exactly 10:48 pm on Saturday 10th May, 2014 when I had said my prayers and was ready to sleep, my mobile phone rang. When I picked up the phone and pressed the answering key to answer, I heard a deep HELLO and before I responded hello, out of the deep voice came “MY FRIEND, I’VE BEEN MARRIED FOR JUST FOUR (4) YEARS BUT FOR A YEAR NOW I AND MY SO CALLED WIFE HAVE BEEN FIGHTING. HOW CAN YOU HELP ME? MANY OF MY FRIENDS SAY WE ARE NOT MEANT TO BE. MY FRIEND, SHOULD I LEAVE HER?
I was so shocked by the approach of the man and before I could say a word, I heard a shout of his name at the background and he said “THAT IS MY WIFE OOO, LET ME ATTEND TO HER BEFORE WE FIGHT AGAIN THIS NIGHT. I KNOW YOU WILL NOT TELL ME TO LEAVE HER BUT TELL ME SOMETHING TO HELP ME SUSTAIN MY MARRIAGE, I WILL CALL YOU LATER.
True to his word, he called after two days and the rest is history. I never heard from him again but I believe he is happy now and I want to give you a skeleton of what I shared with my unknown friend.
To sustain or maintain a healthy marriage,
- DON’T QUICKLY FIND FAULT WITH YOUR SPOUSE OR PARTNER
- DON’T MAKE THE MISTAKE OF SEEKING OR MALTREATING HIM OR HER TO LEAVE.
- LEARN TO RESOLVE YOUR CONFLICTS YOURSELVES AND AMICABLY
- LEARN TO ACCEPT YOUR SPOUSE’S STRENGTH AND WEAKNESS
- NEVER PLAN A PROGRAM THAT WILL MAKE YOU IGNORE YOUR HUSBAND OR WIFE.
- DON’T SET RIGID RULES FOR YOURSELVES, FOR RIGID RULES WILL DISTURB THE JOY IN THE MARRIAGE.
- MAKE YOUR SPOUSE YOUR BEST FRIEND, GO TO PLACES WITH HIM OR HER
- PRAISE YOUR SPOUSE WHEN HE OR SHE DOES SOMETHING WORTHY OF PRAISE.
- BE MORE FREE WITH YOUR SPOUSE THAN WITH ANY OTHER MAN OR WOMAN.
- NEVER SPEAK ILL OF YOUR SPOUSE TO YOUR FAMILY
- DO EVERYTHING TO SATISFY YOUR SPOUSE
- NEVER FORGET THAT GOD HATES DIVORCE (Malachi 2:16)